Tuesday 17 July 2012

Leaving Roth Behind....

Roth seems like a distant memory now with nothing but a medal and a sore foot to show for it.  Since the race I have had time to reflect on what i felt had gone wrong and the steps needed to correct them.  I know I have a better performance in me and whilst I am excited to give IronDistance racing another shot, for now my focus is purely Transalpine.  For those that don't know what this race is, its an 8 day multi stage race through (by which I mean over) the Alps.  Distance along is about 300km, distance up is about 15,000m.  I know, sounds crazy right?  Well it does to me at the moment, especially as we are now 6 weeks out and I cannot run.  The sore foot is more problematic than I first thought with me only just being able to walk pain free.  I have a massage today and am icing and Voltorol-ing it regularly so fingers crossed I can resume running by the weekend.  I mean I really need to be fully functioning soon as I have a LOT of training coming up.  In a couple of weeks my training volume will hit 250km of running in a single week.  I'm still not sure how to fit all that in around a full time job but I'm sure I'll find a way.  Or rather, Andy will find one.  I am excited and scared in appropriate amounts and have re-started my POWERbreathe regime in a bid to get my respiratory system at least a little bit ready for the altitude, and have also been advised to do my gym work with the POWERbreathe.  Yup, hanging out my gob and wheezing like Darth Vader.  In public.  Cant wait.  Thankfully I don't know anyone at my gym so there will be no photographic evidence of this ordeal. 
So, recovery almost over its time to start getting my head back into hard graft mode.  And truth be told.....I'm looking forward to training hard again.  As nice as a break is after a race, I dont like doing nothing for long........

No comments:

Post a Comment