Saturday 1 September 2012

Transalpine stage 1

Just a few quick words about today as its late (9.25 - woohoo) and I need to get some sleep.  Day 1 was long.  The longest stage of the whole race.  31 miles and 1600m of elevation.  The first 12k are on flat gravel paths, a bit like the Roth marathon, only without the canal.  Or the sun.  It rained in the morning and was pretty cold at the top.  We did OK overall, finishing 21st mixed team out of 76.  I'm not going to lie, there were horrible bits and it was tough.  I fell over more than once (more than 5 times actually) as some of the 20% gradient descents were pretty technical and slippery.  People were hitting the deck left right and centre, it was actually pretty comical in the end. 
Stage 2 tomorrow is only (!) 35km, though more ascent packed into those short miles.  Team POWERbreatheUK is still fighting fit, (touch wood it stays that way) and ready to face another day.

I will be doing a longer write up (maybe even with piccies!) when I get more time but so far it has been eat, get kit ready, sleep, eat, run, wash, eat, get kit ready, sleep and no time for much else.  So off to be now so I can be at my best to face the mountains once more.........

 

No comments:

Post a Comment