Friday 11 May 2012

Earth Wind and Fire (Part II)

So, after a lot of food and a good nights sleep we decided to slightly change the proposed plan of an 80 miler then another 100 miler, including the Tabayesco climb from the south/east coast.  We plotted an easy-ish 52 miler and figured we'd go out later in the day to allow our legs to recover that bit more.  So after a leisurely morning and a quick wetsuit swim we set off at about 3pm.  This was a simple loop of up the Donkey Track, out to Uga and back over Fire Mountain.  Again.  The wind seemed a bit stronger today and though the legs were feeling OK after the previous days ride it was a long slog up there.  Andy suggested some positive self talk which became our mantra for the rest of the trip. "Strong legs - great training!" was chanted a lot in the next couple of days........
Back along the road of never ending heat from Famara to Teguise, the pretty much home.  The last hour of the ride was in the cooling evening which was nice, and we pretty much showered and headed straight to dinner
Day 3 - 52 miles, 3hrs 45.

The last days ride was planned to take in the Tabayesco climb "the Time Trial way".  83 miles which would take us up the island to the north eastern tip to a place my sister Jo recommended - Orzola. 
We forewent breakfast with the fat, burnt people and had our own cereal so that we could get out earlier.  We needed to be back to run off the bike and take them back to the bike shop.  Knowing the terrain, what you think will be a 5hr ride usually takes you about 6.5. 
We headed north east, through Teguise and along the LZ-1 to Mala, into a north easterly headwind.  For 30 miles we slogged against the strongest wind we'd had all week.  We had a very impressive average speed of 8mph for the first 3.5 hours.  We finally got to Orzola which after all that work had a lot to live up to.  Sadly, it didnt and we left without stopping.  This, I think, may have been a mistake as to get out of there in the direction we wanted was a lovely, switchback-y climb.  We knew we were saving something for Tabayesco so were surprised by this incline and took a moment at the top to refuel ready for the climb of the island.  We had checked out the Everyday Training website for times from their latest camp out here and knew who we should and who we wanted to beat.  Andys plan was to stick together to help each other along and this was going well for a while.  I slowed down to stay with him ( ;-p) and before long were were 20 mins in.  Once we hit the junction though Andy, chivalrous as he is) belted off.  So much for sticking together.  We hit the top in 40mins and a handful of seconds, with me managing to close the gap on Andy to just 8 seconds.  I think I paid for this though and the early warning signs were my shaking muscles all through lunch.  Well, not to worry I thought, its all down hill home really with the wind we'd fought against all the way out now behind us.  I was wrong.  Andy has plotted through route to head north again once we reached San Bartolome.  The wind that hit us was actually hysterical.  We were griding with all our might (like bloomin' Femes all over again) and going at about 5mph.  We eventually reached Tiagua where we turned west where I imagined the going would be a little easier, but again, I was wrong.  It seemed as though whichever way we turned, there was a head wind.  I was sick of it ripping past my ears, it was all I could hear and I will admit to being a little vocal about my feelings at that point.  4 days being on a bike was taking its toll, not only on my legs but by arse was killing me too.  I even started shouting at my virtual training partner as it happily bleeped to tell me it had completed the ride and was enjoying a beer on a sun lounger by the pool.  I have since disabled the smug little bugger.  Finally, FINALLY, after a melted energy bar (and a near meltdown) we finally turned out of the wind and only 20k from home.  I tried to enjoy this and make the most of what was my last hours ride in Lanzarote and probably my last dry ride in a while and I wanted to appreciate it, despite being ready to drop.  Andy declared he didnt want to run off the bike and that suited me just fine.  I'm not actually sure I could have run.  The last, glorious descent through Conil and the last time down the Donkey Track.  As pleased as I was to be able to get off this wretched bike, it was still a little sad. 

We returned the bikes to our friends at Renner Bikes and reflected on the weeks training over a beer or two.  Day 4 was 83 miles, 6hrs 20mins.  I think Andy has the actual stats but we worked it out to be 21 hours of riding, 288 miles.  Not bad for 4 days. 

Each day started and ending with our POWERbreath exercises, 30 breaths, twice a day.  This also marks the end of my first full week of regular use.  Do I feel the difference yet?  Hard to say.  It could be the POWERbreathe, it could be the training block, it could be the rest day, it could be a combination but I certainly felt on yesterday run and this mornings swim that things seem a little easier.  I will keep you updated.

So, in summary, a great boost to my cycle fitness as this was a concern for me.  I've done lots of running and been regular with my swims but somehow not found the mojo to get out on the bike as much.  This last week has helped with that and I am keen to build on the hard work we have put in.  I'd much rather be doing it in Lanzarote than England right now but will make the most of it and know that them there hills will still be there for me to visit anytime.  Unless they've been blown away........

No comments:

Post a Comment